[Noisebridge-discuss] Foreign films

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 08:21:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

>   maybe the license/restrictions are a matter of
> play for pay: commercial. if someone is playing
> DVDs at NB and others are watching, that probably
> can be considered home (personal) use.

Considering what the MPAA is like, I very much doubt that
free screenings are excluded.

Workarounds:

(1)  Use old films where the copyrights have expired
(2)  Get letters from the studios authorizing the screening
     (Anime clubs use this trick for showings at their meetings)
(3)  Find people who have screening rights to host the showings

Mike