[Noisebridge-discuss] Wiki spam

L E lexein-esc at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 14:46:47 UTC 2010

Good catch.  More than a simple annoyance, that bad edit (from Chile) carried
with it a link to a website infected with (at least) a trojan horse, according
to Avast! antivirus.

(Wikipedia by policy implements IP blocking, userid blocking, CAPTCHA to slow
down spamming by IP editors, and URL blacklisting, so that bad URLS can't even
be added to an article. So I think this is built in to, or an add-on for
MediaWiki)

Maybe IP ("anonymous") editing should not be permitted?  That may have already
been discussed and nixed, more's the pity...  I mean, it's so easy to create a
userid, which is _more_ anonymous that a raw IP address (except to admins).
- Lex