[Noisebridge-discuss] Donation Machine (was SHOW ME THE MONEY)

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 07:59:37 UTC 2010

Yeah, great idea, Jon!

At The Last HOPE conference there was an art piece near the Hardware Hacking Area I set up.  It had a big red vending machine coin-box (circa 1950) with a small 7-segment LED display tacked on to it next to the coin slot that stated "25 cents".  Through the entire conference I saw people putting quarters into the coin slot.  When someone put in their quarter, the LED display counted down from 25, 24, 23, to 0.  When the count reached 0 -- nothing happened!  This prompted many people to put in another quarter.  I don't know how many quarters were put in the slot, but I imagine they made quite a pile of money by the end of The Last HOPE.

This is just another example of a donation machine.  Our could be *much* more interesting (the one at The Last HOPE involved a display of sex toys).

I hope someone will step up to be point person for this project.  It will be a lot of fun.  And I it will net Noisebridge a good amount of donations to boot.

Mitch.