[Noisebridge-discuss] LAN party gaming group: Please stop using Noisebridge resources for your own personal enjoyment of computer game play

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Oct 4 06:42:00 UTC 2010

Matt Joyce wrote, On 20101002 220531:
> Rubin, pretty sure nothing in burning mans legitimate history would promote
> infantile vandalism, or threats thereof.

"Burn the Noisebridge early."

> Speaking as a hacker, a member of multiple spaces, and someone who has
> enjoyed several large lan events...  I call bullshit on your suggestion that
> all hacker related activities be "productive".  Hacking is a hobbyist
> venture as much as lan gaming is... and the overlap in culture is so strong
> we share the same slang.

I'm not arguing what a hacker should or shouldn't do. I'm just pointing
out that Noisebridge has a vision and my observation of the LAN party
cave doesn't really fall anywhere near it.

> Now I've only met lan gamers at noise bridge once.  They were incredibly
> respectful, and far more welcoming to me than anyone else there.

Sweet, and with that same attitude they can either make something
awesome with their time in the space or GTFO.

> That being said I find myself somewhat appalled by your dictatorial
> conviction that there is some inate wrongness to be grokked in the actions
> of nerds seeking to enjoy themselves in a purely frivilous and largely
> technical pursuit.

There totally isn't, except when it's eating up space and resources
others have worked towards to be provided for members and patrons of
Noisebridge looking to make and hack cool shit.

> As I was raised largely on irc this leaves me supressing an urge to lower
> myself to your suggestion of juvenile antics.  I will not.  I suggest you do
> the same.
>
> We are adults, and intelligent people.  We can engage in open discourse
> without resorting to antagonism and avarice.

Resorting? Mother fucker I'm real, deal with it. Noisebridge is not your
fucking hippie utopia, nor is it mine. It's a place where you go to and
have an experience of which is not controlled. You might learn a thing
or two about it and possibly yourself.

If I knew I was helping to build a daycare, I would have given up on
this long ago (Shanon, take note of that).

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net