[Noisebridge-discuss] LAN party gaming group: Please stop using Noisebridge resources for your own personal enjoyment of computer game play

Alex Handy alexhandy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 19:23:21 UTC 2010

Lots of gamer hate, here! Can I, first of all, suggest that we leave these people alone unless someone else has a deep and burning desire to use the classrooms on the weekends. D&D takes one classroom Sundays, LAN takes Turing on Saturdays. Is this really so awful?

Secondly, the LAN gamers spend most of their time building Android games. A few weekends ago, I stopped in for this portion of the evening's events, and watched as almost all of those attending in the Turing classroom spent hours installing and configuring Eclipse. I can think of no greater sign of their dedication to "create." Eclipse is a bitch to install.

Thirdly, the LAN group actually built a game already, but has moved on to a larger, more longer term project.

Fourthly, when did it become a requirement that you had to "produce" something with your time at Noisebride? Learning isn't OK? Playing games is not OK? because Go club has existed at Noisebridge since day one, and no one has ever yelled at us to say "You're not creating anything, Go-Fags! Get out!"

Oh, and somebody mentioned, in a round-about way, that the gamers smell. My god, man, how many hackers smell bad too? It's sort of a universal geek problem.

Finally, I have a lot of experience with both LAN and tabletop gamers. The folks that are using Noisebridge for these purposes are well mannered, relatively quiet, and have thus far cleaned up after themselves. I'd say that makes them the most inoffensive groups of gamers I've ever seen. Most LAN parties are a complete mess and filled with shouting, cables, power outages, and tons of equipment. The Zergbridgers are remarkably innocuous.