[Noisebridge-discuss] The point of Noisebridge, we're shooting a hacker to Singapore

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Mon Oct 4 19:25:42 UTC 2010

On 10/04/2010 02:09 PM, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> I sadly wasn't there (had to see a friend join the Six Feet Under Club
> at Arse this year), but I was surprised too as to how the money got
> spent. I was expecting something like "Let's donate it all to the
> EFF!" or "Let's build a ball pit in the DJ Booth!"
> Must have been some party!

I have to say that I was somewhat surprised by the result as well, but
hey, apparently this is the wisdom of the crowd.  And, to be fair, I've
been chuckling to myself with the thought of Antonio on an airplane to
Singapore for the past day and a half.

My recollection of the suggestions people threw out:

1) Donate the money to the NB general fund.
2) Buy enough balls to create a ball-pit in the back classroom.
3) Spend the money on a nicer NB sign.
4) Spend the money on fuel for free airplane rides for everyone present.
5) Rent out a theater for an anniversary showing of Hackers (the movie),
inviting the actors, etc.
6) Drugs
7) Hire people to disrupt city hall.
8) Use the money to build a giant pez dispenser replica which would
actually dispense pizza, then take that to the tenderloin.
9) Spend the money on enough cream-puffs to build a giant cream-puff
snowball, light that on fire, and roll it down Washington Ave.
10) Donate the money to a trust fund for the first noise-baby.
11) Issue a $10 refund to everyone present.
12) Use the money to buy a bus, which we'd turn into a mobile hackerspace.
13) And, of course, buy a plane ticket to somewhere off the continent of
North America the next morning, to return on Monday.

...and I'm sure there were a bunch more that I am forgetting.

For some reason, everyone was incredibly enthusiastic about sending
someone off the continent the next morning.  The visual voting system
worked pretty well (could have been faster, it still required manual
integration from the results to the display), and then the person to be
sent to Singapore was chose by a giant game of rock-paper-scissors.
Antonio won, and is now, apparently, in Singapore.

Anyone have any pictures from the event?

- moxie

--
http://www.thoughtcrime.org