[Noisebridge-discuss] The future of Python class at Noisebridge

jim jim at well.com
Tue Oct 5 15:13:40 UTC 2010

   The Monday night Python class began as a SF-LUG Python
study group with Asheesh as mentor. Asheesh left the
region to set up openhatch.org and Daniel took over,
formalizing the meeting somewhat as a class with teacher,
and has hung in there for over a year.
   You can change the approach as you see fit. You might
take it on with someone else to share the mentoring or
lecture role or revert to study group format by reducing
the role of the mentor or whatever. If you share the role,
you have the plus side of better continuity (each mentor
can take a break) but the with price of keeping in sync
with each other. There's at least one other NB member
who's got very good Python skills with an aptitude for
teaching.

   I believe there are two main aspects to support:
* provide real-world, simple examples that demand that
  attendees think out the problem solution in terms of
  Python language features and Pythonic techniques.
* accommodate stone beginners and also people who are
  approaching intermediate levels. The Dive into Python
  book is available on line and might work for both
  groups. Al Sweigart's book, Invent Your Own Computer
  Games with Python, is currently in the Turing room
  and I believe has been used in the Python class; it's
  certainly suitable for beginners and to some degree
  to extending Python skills. The book that Asheesh
  first chose as a basis for the group is Python for
  Software Design: How to Think Like a Computer
  Scientist and for a while, at least, Daniel stuck
  with it.

http://diveintopython.org/
http://inventwithpython.com/
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

   (my opinions: ) I and a few others have had some
objections to parts of the Think Python text. I'd not use
it in favor of Al's book and Dive into Python.
   I think sticking to the current schedule (Monday
evenings from 6:30 to 8:00) is important.
   There are several Python groups in the bay area, and
one or more of their members might be willing to share
the leader role or come in for an occasional lecture or
point you to examples at times you find your own well dry.

http://www.pygamesf.org/
http://www.pywebsf.org/
http://www.baypiggies.net/