[Noisebridge-discuss] The future of Python class at Noisebridge

aditya bhargava aditya at wefoundland.com
Tue Oct 5 18:36:36 UTC 2010

Mark himself has said that Dive Into Python has become outdated and he
hasn't had time to update it. I was thinking of going with Al's book for
this class. Game dev looks like a popular way of getting into coding and I
think it's because of the payoff at the end where you get to play your own
game. I looked over the book and it has the kind of projects that people
would sincerely enjoy working on. Overall I think we will have the most fun
with that book.

I'm picturing the class as a beginner's intro to programming, with Python as
the language of choice and Invent With Python as the book of choice. I'm
down for running the classes. If anyone else is interested in tag-teaming
it, or if people want to come and talk about specialized topics
intermittently, I would be down for that too.

Daniel, I have questions for you about what you've covered so far...maybe we
should take that conversation off the NB mailing list?

Adit

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

> Many thanks.
>

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:21 -0700, Daniel C. Silverstein wrote:
> > The examples in Dive Into Python are needlessly complex, and, in some
> > cases, hopelessly outdated.  Also, like Think Python, I find the order
> > of topics to be questionable.
> >
> > Zed Shaw has an amusing and vitriolic rant re: Dive Into Python here:
> > http://oppugn.us/posts/1272050135.html
> > I don't necessarily agree with the entire rant, but I agree with the
> > spirit of it.
> >
> > (Dan)
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd love to know your take on Dive into Python.
> > > Can you summarize?

> if
> about:

> it