[Noisebridge-discuss] The future of Python class at Noisebridge

aditya bhargava aditya at wefoundland.com
Tue Oct 5 19:56:05 UTC 2010

I had a few more ideas about this. I thought I could create an egg that
would just be "the python class at noisebridge". It would be full of modules
that could get progressively more interesting as the class went on. These
could be used in assignments. So anyone wanting to join the class could just
do

$ easy_install nb_python

And then assignments could be things like

from nb_python import assignment1 as hangman

I would have the boring parts of the hangman code written, it would be up to
the student to flesh out the more interesting parts.

Adit

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

>   I love the idea of little tests, maybe very small
> (fifteen-minute) feature-specific hands-on exercises
> and maybe some alternate problems that are meatier
> (I'm not much into games; I like the idea of working
> with third-party modules).
>

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 12:22 -0700, Laura Khalil wrote:
> > Hey Adit,
> >

> > I took Dan's class when he just got on board (over a year ago) and
> > really enjoyed it. I haven't been back in an age, but glad to hear
> > you're thinking of keeping it alive.
> >

> > One thing about Invent with Python: Al does a great job of giving an
> > overview of Python. However, the book is written for kids, so
> > everything is spelled out -- there's little to challenge the adult
> > user to try and figure things out on his own. Personally, I find this
> > critical to my understanding of a programming language.
> >

> > I still think it's a great book, but may be better served if it could
> > be supplemented with test questions/homework problems to apply what's
> > learned.
> >

> > Laura
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM, aditya bhargava
> > <aditya at wefoundland.com> wrote:
> >         Mark himself has said that Dive Into Python has become
> >         outdated and he hasn't had time to update it. I was thinking
> >         of going with Al's book for this class. Game dev looks like a
> >         popular way of getting into coding and I think it's because of
> >         the payoff at the end where you get to play your own game. I
> >         looked over the book and it has the kind of projects that
> >         people would sincerely enjoy working on. Overall I think we
> >         will have the most fun with that book.
> >
> >         I'm picturing the class as a beginner's intro to programming,
> >         with Python as the language of choice and Invent With Python
> >         as the book of choice. I'm down for running the classes. If
> >         anyone else is interested in tag-teaming it, or if people want
> >         to come and talk about specialized topics intermittently, I
> >         would be down for that too.
> >
> >         Daniel, I have questions for you about what you've covered so
> >         far...maybe we should take that conversation off the NB
> >         mailing list?
> >

> >         Adit
> >

> >         On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com>
> >         wrote:
> >
> >                 Many thanks.
> >

> >                 On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:21 -0700, Daniel C.
> >                 Silverstein wrote:
> >                 > The examples in Dive Into Python are needlessly
> >                 complex, and, in some
> >                 > cases, hopelessly outdated.  Also, like Think
> >                 Python, I find the order
> >                 > of topics to be questionable.
> >                 >
> >                 > Zed Shaw has an amusing and vitriolic rant re: Dive
> >                 Into Python here:
> >                 > http://oppugn.us/posts/1272050135.html
> >                 > I don't necessarily agree with the entire rant, but
> >                 I agree with the
> >                 > spirit of it.
> >                 >
> >                 > (Dan)
> [...]