[Noisebridge-discuss] Unproductive Movie Night

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Tue Oct 5 22:17:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Alex Handy <alexhandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a dramatic thread, a movie night was suggested. I have, in my time,
> heard a number of excellent suggestions for movies to be shown.
>
> The BBS Documentary
> Freedom Downtime
> All Star Trek movies and episodes, in order, with 5 minutes of nitpicking
> between each one
> All of the episodes of Monty Python
> Dr. Who, in order, by doctor
> Star Wars
> Hackers
> Sneakers
> WarGames
> All Police Academy movies, in order, minus number 7, the unholy bastard
> child of the lot
>
> Etc....
>
> I think there's almost too much to watch. Should there be 1 night a week?
> Should we try to do all of something over a weekend? Jason Scott's showing
> of Get Lamp on a Friday night did well.
>
> Thoughts?

[I've been sitting on this one for a bit, sorry to echo a bit of what others
have said.  It fell into my "Wait a bit before posting" policy, then I went
and got all distracted by chores, having a baby, that kinda domestic shit,
you know how it goes.]

A big part of what makes Noisebridge awesome is socialization.  The other
big part of our success is creativity, providing a place for people to Make
Things.  The extremes are movie nights and the CNC Mill or Circular Saw.
 These things have significant presence in the space, and lead to
contention.  This is not a big deal, so long as people don't step on each
others' toes too much (in general, not just social vs creative).

That said, Friday night is the first time when people with Crappy Day Jobs
can cut loose and hack all night.  We all know that the best creativity
happens late.  If we have a movie night on Fridays, that starts being a real
drag on the ability of that whole contingent of people to use the space.
 Sunday nights are probably a much better bet, though it might be worth
doing a couple weeks' survey of the use of the space to see which is better.

The last time I went to the space during a movie showing, all the lights
were off, and it was hell to find what I was there for.  I'm lucky: my house
is a few blocks away, and I have a workshop in my garage and an
understanding partner, so I'm not counting on NB as my primary workspace.  I
literally was just popping over to pick up something I hadn't brought back
with me earlier that evening, so I was in and out, after a bit of flashlight
work.

Others aren't so fortunate.  Please be sensitive to the fact that people
might actually want to hack at the hackerspace, concomitant with whatever
else is going on there.  And, if someone is there to use the circular saw or
soldering stations, be inviting and enthused.  And, for the love of all that
is Free and Open, please leave the lights on in as much of the space as you
can.  If the whole space is dark, ur doin it wrong.  Otherwise, movie nights
are a great way to build community, so come, hang out, make popcorn, drink
beer, and clean up after your damned selves!

Also: I think Buckaroo Banzai is overrated, but I'm still shocked that it
hasn't come up in this thread.  It's worth watching once.  UHF, too, has a
wonderful portrayal of us weirdo creator types, and, come to think of it,
isn't a half-bad match for NB's roster.  (I'm pretty sure Vonguard is the
one teaching poodles how to fly, and maybe Mitch's hair is multi-colored to
cover up the fact that it's been straightened out of its Weird Al-like
curls, and Jason and/or Michael VJ are trying to get people to drink from
the CS Theory firehose.  And, of course, we all know who's Philo...)
--
/jbm