[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-piracy / anti-Pirate Bay law currently in Congress

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Wed Oct 6 20:35:04 UTC 2010

On 10/06/2010 04:19 PM, travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 12:47:20AM -0400, Moxie Marlinspike wrote:
>> The operator of a Tor exit node can configure what ports they'd like to
>> relay traffic for.  Most everyone, for instance, turns off port 25.  If
>> an operator doesn't wish to proxy bittorrent traffic, they can close
>> those ports as well.
>
> Ports don't actually mean anything any more.
>
> I would recommend anyone using BT NOT use 6880:6881.

They don't mean much for egress filtering when the actor you're trying
to filter controls the software on both sides of your filter, but it's
fairly effective when they only control software on the client side of
the filter, as mentioned above.

You're going to have a hard time sending spam through a Tor exit node if
you can't connect to port 25, and you're going to have a hard time
downloading torrents if you can't connect to the BT port range.  You can
set your BT client to use whatever ports you'd like, but nobody is going
to be able to connect to you because Tor doesn't provide inbound
connectivity.

- moxie

--
http://www.thoughtcrime.org