[Noisebridge-discuss] a networked sound system idea

d p fenn weasel at meer.net
Tue Oct 12 00:09:24 UTC 2010

Le Oct 11, 2010 à 11:05 AM, travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org a écrit :

> "It's simple IP traffic; in theory, these speakers could be remote, and
> I could be sending sound to a remote office, for example.  Or my mail client,
> when it receives a new email from my boss to me, could ping me while I'm
> here."
>
> Prior art:
> http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060602065532384

if you're already going to do ip (not analog over cat5) other prior art would be rtp. there's a nice open source 'solution' from http://www.live555.com/ (scare quotes only because i last looked at it a few years ago).

on the other hand, if you want analog over cat5 there are some receivers that do/did this already where each pair is a 'room'. the thing i worked on never saw the light of day, but the big heads kept telling me "it's big in japan".

\p