[Noisebridge-discuss] Bridging my unused eth0 interface...

Ryan Castellucci ryan.castellucci at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:13:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:

>   According to my reading, bridging wifi in Linux is a mess.

That's not a linux issue, that's a bridging wifi issue.

Standard ethernet frames have two mac addresses - sender and receiver.

802.11ethernet frames have three mac addresses - station, access point, and
'other host'.  The problem here is that there is no way for a station to
have multiple ethernet hosts behind it because the hosts behind it will have
mac addresses that are not the station address, and thus unreachable.

There are two solutions to this - layer 2 nat (Linux can do this with
ebtables) and WDS mode wifi.  In WDS mode wifi, each frame has four
addresses, sender, receiver, station, and access point. WDS mode wifi can
bridge with normal ethernet without difficulty.

With that little lecture over with, for the purposes of having a logical
interface with multiple physical interfaces, bridging the two should work
just fine (since you don't care about forwarding between interfaces).

--
Ryan Castellucci http://ryanc.org/