[Noisebridge-discuss] history of hacking on Youtube

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Wed Oct 20 20:09:36 UTC 2010

Digging through old email (from 2007) in my TODO folder and found
this.  Thought it might be of interest to people, since it seems that
hackerspaces are doing something similar to the early computer clubs,
etc.

I wonder... does Noisebridge keep mailing list archives around?  One
day an historian will likely be wishing one existed :-) Also, expect
a documentary; it's inevitable.  Maybe Steven Levy could write a
paperback on it :-)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=history+of+hacking&aq=f

Quoted one of my friends:

Lot of good historical info on the early phreaking scene, blue boxing, how the
phreaking crowd and Captain Crunch inspired the creation of the first Apple
Computer, etc.  I didn't realize how small of a community is was in the
pre-80's (I got into computers in '81).

For example, I hadn't known about Bill Gate's early head butting with the
famous Home Brew Computer Club back in the day over their "free and open
ways"...  an echo of Microsoft's stance today against open source and the
free/libre information ethos.
--
"With my finger on the trigger, I run ./configure" -- Monzy, "kill -9"