[Noisebridge-discuss] server donation to local nonprofit 501c3 corporation

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Oct 21 21:59:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure a cluster would be unused the vast majority of the time, but
> would be powered on (consuming a lot of expensive commercial electricity)
> all the time.  It's probably far more cost-effective for us to pool some AWS
> money, instead of paying the electric bill for these full-time.  Oh, yes,
> and the environment, green, sustainability, blah blah blah.
> One or two of these would make great replacements for machines we currently
> have running services at 2169, allowing us to consolidate down to a smaller
> power footprint.  More than that and it starts edging into a consensus item
> due to the ongoing cost of power.

Noisecloud, the GCC compile farm, and the stack of Proliants at the
east bay space are all going to be cheaper to operate on a per-hour
basis than anything billed on the PG&E A schedule at 2169.  Especially
since the winter rates haven't kicked in yet, so it's still north of
$0.20 / kWh.

It's hard to turn down free stuff, but this one comes with a monthly price tag.