[Noisebridge-discuss] So, how many people live at noisebridge now?

Anselm Hook anselm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 22:32:22 UTC 2010

> Pretty much everything we do is on a case-by-case basis and it lets us
> not have Rules, which then we'd have to enforce, even if it didn't make
> sense to do so.  I'm all for case-by-case bases.

I like this statement in general. If our whole civilization could practice
mindfulness we could probably avoid a lot of the horrible things that happen
to people when they fall between the cracks.

Admittedly - dealing with a situation on its own terms, taking the time to
look at all the factors, weighing the best possible outcomes is hugely time
consuming. The problem we face as humans is limited time, energy and
cognitive resources to fully solve all the challenges we face - although
given sufficient time we could produce better outcomes for any one of those
challenges than any hard rule. As well of course the universe is so
blisteringly complicated and outcomes so perverse that the side effects of
any action we take almost always dominate over the intended consequences.

Nevertheless I am still in favor of at least trying to be mindful and
avoiding the fall to rule. It is good practice. And while the discussion may
be raucous- the alternatives are often worse.