[Noisebridge-discuss] Bill in congress to add copyright for fashion design

Dave Kritzberg dave.kritzberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 19:08:49 UTC 2010

Nice paper.  We are taught that people follow incentives.  That's not wrong,
but overemphasized in general and misdirected, creating a false account.
I'm not sure if the political economic model in most legislator's heads in
intentionally naive or unintentionally naive.

An effective law would lead the biggest players to behave badly.  That's
following incentives.  But the law could only come about because powerful
interests were innovating less, and feared losing their place to more
innovative upstarts.

When powerful interests begin spending more of their time defending their
existing designs than in creating new ones, you should expect to see the
rate of innovation decrease.  At least among the big players.  And they will
buy up talent and underutilize it.  Kind of like Microsoft....  Good times
ahead for the fashion industry.

Dave