[Noisebridge-discuss] usb 'dead drops' at noisebridge?

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 20:35:01 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I plugged a USB drive into a computer at a hotel in Brussels a few weeks
> ago.  The computer was running Ubuntu.  The next time I plugged the USB
> drive into my computer I noticed that the "autorun.inf" file was altered,

Interesting to note: Ubuntu has become so popular that it is now a
target for scum-ware writers in its own right. I contracted some novel
worm on my Ubuntu laptop a few years ago -- I presume from insecure
WiFi at the local coffee shops. It ran an IRC bot in the background
which would insult people in Czech on certain channels. It was very
clever at hiding itself and would modify system binaries so even after
I got rid of it, it would come back the next time I ran "ls" or other
commands.

I kept the worm around for some time to study, but eventually someone
stole the laptop itself... life in the Tenderloin.