[Noisebridge-discuss] first aid kit update

Rachel Lyra Hospodar rachel at fernworks.net
Wed Sep 8 18:59:07 UTC 2010

i checked out the big first aid kit, located across from the kitchen, as
well as the little kit that was in the bathroom.  they each had some
good stuff and some crap, and the cheapo case for the little one was
falling apart, so i combined everything into the one cabinet and will be
supplying some new things for it that i think it needs.  I already have
a $20 budget for this, if anyone else wants to contribute you can paypal
to this email address.

supplies i think we need/ would spend this money on:
--antihistamines in case of severe allergic reaction
--a few razor blades for cutting out big/deep splinters
--fabric tape
--latex gloves
--butterfly bandages
--some more small gauze pads
--fabric bandaids to replace plastic.  plastic ones don't stick as well
or last as long.

some other things i am thinking of adding to the mix:
--tampons or pads (can be used too staunch blood flow, sounds funny till
you need to stick a tampon up your nose.  then you love it.) anyone got
some OB-style tampons and/or small pads to donate?  i haven't used
either in too many years to have any laying around.
--soap dispenser for the new bathroom (unless there are plans to install
something fancy i just want to put a squirty bottle on the sink.  we
have a ton of good liquid soap and no good way to use it in here)

If anyone has any first aid scenarios they want to share with me (ie,
here is how i might get hurt doing my activity, here is the aid i might
need) it will help me to take everyone's needs into account.

additionally, i will be moving the first aid kit to a more accessible
and prominent location.  It's worth noting that it being prominent means
it will get used more, and need to be maintained.  This is, overall, a
Good Thing.  I am also hoping to make sure there is a decently-lit place
that is usable for administering first aid.

everything is consolidated into one cabinet, with an eyewash station
underneath it.  my goal is to move both together, rubin suggested that i
not move them too far from the sinks and running water, i think that is
a good idea for a couple reasons.

Any other feedback welcome.  Moving the cabinet will probably happen as
part of Safety Third Wednesday next week.

thinkin way too much about people hurting themselves,
R.