[Noisebridge-discuss] Voting experiment.

Albert Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 07:07:52 UTC 2010

I have an idea for something I want to do at the next few meetings,
just as an experiment. Noisebridge currently makes its decisions by
consensus, giving any member in good standing the ability to block
measures put up for decision. This is as opposed to a voting method
where a majority of votes is needed to pass a measure.

I'd like to hand out ballots to members attending the next few
meetings to vote on any measures we are also taking a consensus on.
The ballot would be a simple for/against vote, but would have no
official impact. Perhaps "vote" would be the wrong word to use, as
oppose to poll.

Looking at the results of votes may give us more insight into
alternatives to our consensus process (either that voting would cause
a large difference in how decisions would go, or if they would not
really cause a different outcome anyway.)

Voting with these ballots would be optional, but the more people who
participate the more accurate this poll would be. Ballots (like
participation in consensus) would only be for members in good standing
who are attending the meeting.

Thanks in advance for helping out with this experiment.

-Al