[Noisebridge-discuss] Removing pages from membership binder

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 05:54:56 UTC 2010

One thing I thought to add to this.  It has occurred that someone has
attempted to exploit a long-standing membership application in someone
else's name (namely G. Carter Stokum).  Since none of us remembered
him, we were not able to say whether this fellow was or was not him.

As it turns out, I have since met (and camped with at burning man)
Carter and can say definitively that the person who attempted to push
this membership through on his first meeting (and even got at least
one signature) was not the same person who put in the application.

Now, aging out applications is not addressing this specific problem,
but I see this problem as a symptom of the larger problem that if
someone's name is in the binder for months and months, then they're
either well known enough that the 4 week wait can be skipped or
unknown enough that they should really start the process over.

In Carter's case personally I think it'd be best, if he desired to,
that he start the process over.  You might note his application is no
longer in the binder, although I have nothing to do with that.  (And
folks should really think twice about admitting the person who
attempted to impersonate him...)

There's no reason the good folks who spend a lot of time at the space
but duck out on meetings because they don't have the funds for
membership could become members just as soon as they fill out the form
again, since we all know the process isn't carved in stone.

What is accomplished by keeping all those aging applications around?

Christie
_______
"Would you rather be a lion in captivity and live 24 years, or in the
wild and live 10-14 years? Answer the question every morning then look
at your condition." -- Nassim N Taleb