[Noisebridge-discuss] Cell ISP in Sweden?

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson mik at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 5 22:00:44 UTC 2010

On Sep 5, 2010, at 11:05 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> A friend of mine just recently moved to Sweden for an internship out
> there. She's without reliable net access and it seems like the hip thing
> to do out there is cell ISPs.
>
> Anyone have any good information on the carriers in Sweden and what it
> takes to get setup with a prepaid cell service. I'm assuming she's also
> looking for a cell phone but that isn't as important as the net access
> right now.

There's a wealth of cell providers, and both prepaid and subscription based ISP access using some sort of USB dongle or similar hit the markets big in the past year.

Biggest players in that area:

3
http://www.tre.se/bredband?kb=se&gclid=CMOp8ZSj8aMCFZyFzAodPH0G1w
Subscription based: 100-250 SEK/month for various capacity levels, coverages, and speeds.

http://www.tre.se/Privat/Mobilt-bredband/DataPrepaidPage/
Prepaid. Starting box is SEK 300 and includes a USB modem.
Day is SEK 29, week is SEK 99, month is SEK 300. 20G monthly cap.

Telia
Used to be the national telephone service. Have the best coverage. If your friend is living out on the countryside, STRONGLY consider this one.

http://www.telia.se/privat/produkter_tjanster/mobilt-bredband/abonnemang/?s_kwcid=TC|13397|mobilt%20bredband||S|b|5029930640
Just read this overview page... Summarizes all of their varieties.

Tele2
http://www.tele2.se/mobilt-bredband.html
SEK 89/169/229 / month subscription.

Prepaid Tele2 is named Comviq: http://www.comviq.se/kontantsurf_info.html

There are more actors - such as Telenor - and if you want more choice, there's either the option of googling on things like “mobilt bredband”, or just finding an electronics, or dedicated cell phone store and have them tell her all about it.

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson, Dr.rer.nat.
Postdoctoral researcher
mik at math.stanford.edu