[Noisebridge-discuss] [Rack] 2169 Mission network changes -- automatic ISP failover!

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 22:09:27 UTC 2010

Why not unplug sonic to test it?

On Sep 6, 2010 2:50 PM, "Jonathan Lassoff" <jof at thejof.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Here's just a quick note to let folks know that I've made a change to
the network infrastructure at Noisebridge's 2169 Mission location.
I've modified our local DHCP server to hand out an IP for users'
default route that points at a floating address between our two ISP
routers. This means that users should be automatically failed over
between ISPs in the case of an outage.

I don't think that this change should interrupt or otherwise change
how users use the network here at the moment, but just in case this
causes a problem, please drop me an email (at this address,
jof at thejof.com), or send me an SMS to my mobile (listed on my wiki
user page, https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Jof).

Currently, I have Sonic.net set as our primary ISP, and Monkeybrains
as a backup. Monkeybrains is faster than the Sonic circuit, so this
may change in the future (when there's not users actively using the
network, like there is now).
If things *do* failover though, all NAT states will be reset, so you
may need to re-establish SSH connections, VPN sessions, etc.

TLDR; I modified the network so we automatically fail-over between
ISPs. If I broke something for you, let me know (email:
jof at thejof.com, SMS to my mobile listed here:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Jof)

Happy hacking!

Cheers,