[Noisebridge-discuss] Hot off the IEEE press

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Sep 9 23:58:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Charles Collicutt
<charles at collicutt.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:42:53AM -0700, Glen Jarvis wrote:
> > But, it looks like they can now convert from electrical to optical down
> to the chip level -- 100 times increase in computers...
> >

> http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/optoelectronics/get-on-the-optical-bus/?utm_source=techalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090910
>
> Do you know how this differs from what Intel, Luxtera etc. have been doing?

It looks like the same basic research. The Intel video didn't look like it
was on an inboard bus. This IEEE article made a big point about the number
of cables that would be unmanageable and that instead, it was all in the
board.

I've been waiting for a breakthrough for something like an 'optical
transistor' and have been theorizing to anyone who will listen how this much
make things faster (totally non-qualified talk -- like those who sit in a
bar and give advice on how to 'rule the country'). But, it does make sense
that optical will be much faster than electrical.

This is the first time I was exposed to this and see how that we'll have
optical busses that will really speed things up -- and that this is a
stepping stone. We may not 'need' to see the optical transistor for many
years.. And, we'll have lots of research as we get to that point.... It
looks like Moore's law is still going strong after all and has a long way to
go :)

e.g.
> http://www.luxtera.com/technology-overview.html
> http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20100727comp_sm.htm
>
> --
Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe