[Noisebridge-discuss] Voting experiment.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Sep 10 02:08:18 UTC 2010

On 09/09/2010 06:27 PM, Ceren Ercen wrote:
> "Many of us are willing to voice
> absent members' concerns during meetings, even if we do not share them"
>
> I think that's not unique to a consensus-style governance. You all would do
> this for each other regardless.

The importance difference is one of agency.

With our consensus style discussion, a person is able to effectively
discuss a point and express (a lack of or support for) consensus on
behalf of whoever they proxy.

It's rare in a voting system to give out extra ballots to people who say
they're representing some other people who aren't at the polling place.
Generally, that defeats the purpose of letting people vote in the first
place...

All the best,
Jake