[Noisebridge-discuss] Voting experiment.

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Fri Sep 10 18:51:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> Yep. In profit oriented, privacy unfriendly, non-equal, non-democratic
> systems

Red herring flamebait. Proxy voting exists in non-profit corporations
as well, and can be done in a privacy-preserving way.

> have a majority overrule a minority and force them into doing something,
> rather than failing to achieve cohesive and unified action.

... and what Al was proposing, AFAICT, is supermajority rule rather
than majority.

In an everyone-vetoes system, troll minorities have no reason to
bother working with the majority or even attempting to reach
negotiated compromises... just as much as in a simple majority or
plurality system, voting blocks larger than x% have no reason to
bother working with smaller ones. Fixing that lack of impetus to
compromise I think is the true aim.

> I know - lets design a new evoting machine. Perhaps we'll be the ones to
> make it un-hackable! We can ask India, they seem to have no problems
> with their system at the moment. :-)

Yet more irrelevant flamebait.

Knock it off, Jake.

- Sai