[Noisebridge-discuss] Voting experiment.

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 22:40:27 UTC 2010

> We've already discussed the issue to death. It was an old topic years
> ago and nothing new is introduced each time it comes up.

Al's little experiment I think is something new.  I think I would call
it a "study" rather than a "vote" though.  I see it as an attempt to
qualify and quantify the consensus process, illustrate how minds are
changed, and could potentially empirically illustrate the merits of
the consensus process.

It disturbs me that people seem to think that engaging with people and
talking things through (as opposed to bullying and strong-arming,
which is how some folks apparently try to deal with dissent) is
insufficient to arrive at an agreement.  Although to be fair, it does
require that all participants actually believe in the consensus
process in order for it to work.  This I see is the major failing of
Noisebridge's consensus process.  Hopefully Al's study might improve
the faith of the doubtful.

Christie
_______
"Would you rather be a lion in captivity and live 24 years, or in the
wild and live 10-14 years? Answer the question every morning then look
at your condition." -- Nassim N Taleb