[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge's birthday!

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Sun Sep 12 02:32:25 UTC 2010

I was planning on throwing an event elsewhere in early October that
might work well as a noisebridge anniversary if people were interested
in having it at noisebridge.

The idea is inspired by a project I saw from folks in the UK.  The rough
concept would be this:

People show up to the event at a specific time and pay $10 to get in.
The entire event is then deciding what to do with the money.  So if 100
people show, you've got $1000 to spend.  You could blow it all on booze
right then, buy a bouncycastle, invest in a fleet of kayaks, or
literally whatever people decide.

In order to make it interesting and rapid-fire, the idea is to have
multiple projectors displaying the options that people are interested
in, and then using a camera with some computer vision software to
quickly tally votes for different ideas (give each participant three
different colored cards when they show up, which they can quickly hold
up to register their preference for one of three options).  Hopefully
this would make things as ADD as possible.

Could fit with the noisebridge narrative: a self-directed crowd using
technology in a social experiment to create their own life.  If people
are interested I think the space could work for it.

- moxie

--
http://www.thoughtcrime.org