[Noisebridge-discuss] Active magnetic levitation

Thomas Stowe stowe.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 04:23:48 UTC 2010

I usually don't send a ton of replies to a mailing list message like this,
but I felt that it was worthy to note that while searching on
http://Alibaba.com for products, I followed a whim and searched for the key
word "levitation" which brought up results containing a number of rare earth
magnets, toys and gadgets but what really caught my attention was in the
"Alternate energy" section there were a large number of listings for Wind
Turbines that claimed to use MagLev technology. It makes sense. I wonder how
cost effective it would be to use controlled electromagnets, powered by the
turbine to enhance turbine performance rather than using rare earth magnets.
I could check to find out exactly what the difference would be but it would
take my focus away from my work tonight.

http://www.alibaba.com/products/levitation/--410401----------------Y.html

BR,

TCS

The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information, or any part thereof, by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete and
destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all
attachments.