[Noisebridge-discuss] "How to talk to cops" workshop online

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Fri Sep 17 18:06:01 UTC 2010

Vermont case she discussed (Boucher):

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1197670606.shtml

Lots of interesting detail on testimonial value vs. evidence, etc.

One guy at the talk asked about how long customs can hold you.  I
recall hearing a story of a man who was smuggling drugs in swallowed
condoms, and he was held for something in the neighborhood of 20-30
days since he refused to, shall we say, "produce" them.  The judge
ruled it was reasonable since he could have left earlier, had he been
willing to go #2.  Here's mention of a UK smuggler who was held for
19:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/drug-smuggling-the-ultimate-inside-stories-rob-stepney-explains-how-customs-officers-catch-travellers-who-carry-death-in-their-bodies-1554334.html

Across the pond, a UK man jailed for refusal to produce keys:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/24/ripa_jfl/

Note how many false positives there were in the case; on the model
rocket, on his hands, and so on.  Something sounds fishy.