[Noisebridge-discuss] Safety

Thomas Stowe stowe.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:46:23 UTC 2010

>From an outsider (me), I'd say that any person you didn't recognize would be
"new" and if they stated that they didn't need help, either they'd be lying
or a member. You could always ask their name as they come in if you didn't
recognize them on the camera and check a registry. A sign-in sheet might
work for this, though some people hate those. A mandatory RFID badge to get
would be more useful and would be possible but harder to automate with long
range RFID and something interacting with "the buzzer".

One or two small "wireless" 2.4ghz cameras can be purchased for under $120.
It might become expensive with non-rechargeable batteries if you don't have
somewhere you can plug the camera into if you opt to power such a system via
9 Volt batteries. I've seen IP cameras that are powered via Power Over
Ethernet and I know firsthand that a POE camera is an easy solution to
implement, though such a camera might cost $150 to $300 (the last time I
checked). With a POE IP camera if an ethernet will reach, it will power the
camera and receive data accessible on the local network that can also be put
on the Internet. I know that the company I have web hosting with (
http://ovh.ie) offers free software that acts to upload to free (in beta)
storage for still images with one week's cache and this is what I use to
capture images from my home camera setup (just a webcam so far).

Here's their pitch:

*Discover video surveillance via the Internet, with recordings accessible
from any connected PC.*

   - Compatible with a simple webcam;
   - Recordings available for download;
   - View videos from an internet browser...

Here's their offer:

http://www.ovh.ie/products/video_surveillance_offers.xml

I think off-site storage makes more sense because if your images and videos
are stolen with any server you're out of luck.

I also have SMEServer running an ftp user in proxmox on my server that does
the same thing via script-automated ftp jobs.
I'll eventually use a second machine to do this with larger storage so I can
capture / upload video streams but for now it's a working solution that can
handle images in a more permanent way.

I'm a firm believer in video surveillance as a security measure and a
cheapie kit with eight cameras an be obtained for under $800 and includes a
DVR with a 500 gigabyte hard drive. If anyone's interested in more info (for
yourself or the Noisebridge site), let me know and I'll share what I can in
the way of knowledge, bookmark URLs and vendors that sell such equipment.

Kind Regards,

Thomas C. Stowe

The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information, or any part thereof, by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete and
destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all
attachments.