[Noisebridge-discuss] Safety

Sai noisebridge at saizai.com
Tue Sep 21 03:59:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Thomas Stowe <stowe.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> From an outsider (me), I'd say that any person you didn't recognize would be
> "new" and if they stated that they didn't need help, either they'd be lying
> or a member. You could always ask their name as they come in if you didn't
> recognize them on the camera and check a registry.

I think that this is unlikely to work. We tend to be, if anything, a
bit rabid about the whole privacy thing. (Remember the flamefest over
the idea that there might be logging of who visits when?) I'm on the
moderate side, but even I'd be a bit creeped out by that.

Also, people could easily be new but not need help, which is a tertium
quid you neglected. Not everybody wants a tour / project / whatever
when they come in. I think it's friendly to notice people who look
new, ask if they've been by before and if they'd like a tour or a
project to work on.

But as a security measure? Not really.

Really, this is one of those things about the NB model of openness;
since we're against pre-screening we have to just deal with shit as it
comes up.

Which, y'know, is surprisingly rare considering how trusting we are
(e.g. basically anyone can come in and use expensive, dangerous,
and/or fragile tools without us even knowing their name). There've
been, what, maybe four or so incidents in the last two years, and all
of them handled quickly and relatively easily?

Most people are pretty awesome, IME. That welcomeness is worth the
cost of enforcement-after-the-fact.

- Sai

PS Your sig is still lulzy.

Notice: Unless you are named "Arnold P. Fasnock", you may read only
the "odd numbered words" (every other word beginning with the first)
of the message above. If you have violated that, then you hereby owe
the sender $10 for each even numbered word you have read.