[Noisebridge-discuss] anyone have extra memory for a macbook?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Sep 27 22:20:08 UTC 2010

On 9/27/10 3:13 PM, Douglas Worley wrote:
> One note I'm sure most of you are aware:
>
> MacBooks traditionally use shared memory, so graphics card work is
> pulled from main system memory. This requires an upgrade of both
> (matching) RAM sticks.

while they are interleaved you can certainly run them in an asymetic
configuration, e.g. this macboox had one 1GB and one 4GB dimm for about
a month before I bought the second 4GB (this is the gen7 white macbook
which will in fact hold 8GB of ddr3 ram). that may result in lower
overall performance, but if your workload is bounded by swap it may
instead still be faster than it was.