[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-piracy / anti-Pirate Bay law currently in Congress

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Tue Sep 28 04:47:20 UTC 2010

On 09/28/2010 12:36 AM, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM,
> <travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org> wrote:
>> BTW, using bittorrent over tor was, last I checked, considered
>> un-excellent behavior by tor exit node operators.  I assume you're
>> talking 'bout just hosting the .torrent files on a server there, which
>> is fine.

The operator of a Tor exit node can configure what ports they'd like to
relay traffic for.  Most everyone, for instance, turns off port 25.  If
an operator doesn't wish to proxy bittorrent traffic, they can close
those ports as well.

> Running bittorrent over tor is rather abusive but more pragmatically
> it would be painfully slow.  I was talking about running a tracker on
> a .onion site - torrent files plus helping clients find each other -
> eg what the pirate bay does.

You could also use my tortunnel tool
(http://www.thoughtcrime.org/software/tortunnel) to run all the torrent
traffic directly through a single-hop exit node in order to speed things
up.  Significantly lowers your anonymity guarantees, though. =)

- moxie

--
http://www.thoughtcrime.org