[Noisebridge-discuss] what sort of phone to get, part xxx

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 29 06:58:26 UTC 2010

> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:03:24 -0700
> From: froggytoad at gmail.com
> To: michael at michaelshiloh.com
> CC: Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] what sort of phone to get, part xxx
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Michael Shiloh
> <michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > being a linux geek, i presumed android was the way to go. but last
> > weekend (at the maker faire) i had a nice chat with someone who turned
> > me on to the Nokia n900, which seems to be much of of a geek's linux phone.
> >
> > thoughts?
>

> Perhaps you should compare Android with MeeGo, and look into projects
> where people are
> getting Meego onto phones/handsets built for Android.

Lots of people I've talked with here in Europe about their phones have really liked the HTC Desire, which is the European version of the HTC Nexus One, which was only available for a short while before being discontinued.  A few people still like their N900, but many have said that they are waiting for the upcoming Nokia phone, for which some have already pre-ordered (I can't remember the name now -- N8 perhaps?), but lots of people have said that with the Desire that they swear at their phone less than with any other phone so far.  But, AFAIK, it is only available in Europe, and I don't know if it functions with US GSM.

Currently delayed in Belgium, due to a 24-hour strike...

Mitch.