[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-piracy / anti-Pirate Bay law currently in Congress

travis at subspacefield.org travis at subspacefield.org
Tue Sep 28 14:48:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 09:07:04PM -0700, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I'd be willing to come up and talk about chaosvpn

Well if you could come to NB 2nd Sunday, we could do a joint talk at
BAHA:

http://baha.bitrot.info/

That would be cool.

Here's my VPN talk for Erik, who is not local:
http://www.subspacefield.org/security/vpn/vpn.pdf

Target audience is those wanting to connect their home, servers,
laptops, work.

I've got a few other points which aren't in the slides yet:

     Do you trust DNS for VPN endpoints?
     Why you want to run own DNS
     OpenVPN - simple, xplatform
       tunnel all traffic with redirect-gateway
       bad when you want to hit intranet sites
       you may not even be able to resolve internal DNS
     IPSec - interop is problem, very complex
     Isakmpd - OpenBSD hotness, does it work on Linux?  Not well, last time I checked
     bypass egress filters
       RDR/DNAT trick for mapping them*
       port TCP 80/UDP 53 for bypass
     make your homepage in browser about:blank or localhost; after it loads is too late
     note about WIFI IPs - can attack them directly, then get onto VPN

[*] That's a simple way to determine what the egress filter set is,
    and tunnel your VPN out.  Works nearly 100% of the time.

For further discussion, consider joining the BAHA list.