[Noisebridge-discuss] Opening TONIGHT: "Dancing With Invisible Light" - Kinect IR Photographs by Audrey Penven

Aaron Muszalski sfslim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:43:59 UTC 2011

[image: 5549684322_e6cf8ce64f_z.jpeg]

Please join me tonight for the opening reception of Audrey Penven's first
solo photography exhibit, "Dancing With Invisible Light". This show
documents Audrey's recent experimentation using a Microsoft Kinect as a
lightsource and photographing the results with an infrared DSLR. The
resulting images are striking, as strange and otherworldly as they are
beautifully and unmistakably human, displaying a magical tension between the
digital and analog. We're very excited to share these beautifully luminous
images with you in person.

In addition to Audrey's photos, tonight's reception will feature a live
musical performance by Doctor Popular, performing his original BitPop
compositions on iPad and iPhone, and delicious organic vegan catering from
our friends at Idle Hands Baking Company.

The opening runs from 6pm-11pm at Emeryville's Pictopia Gallery. I've
included directions below for driving and BART. (Both are surprisingly
easy!) And if you'd like to attend but don't have transport, please let me
know and I'll happily see what I can do to help out.

Sincerely,
Slim

ps. As this is Audrey's debut show, we would be extremely grateful if you'd
take a moment to spread the word, either by forwarding this email, inviting
friends/coworkers or posting about the show on Facebook or Twitter. Thank
you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Dancing With Invisible Light*

Photographs by Audrey Penven

In brief: A striking and futuristic series of portraits created using the
infrared light from a Microsoft Kinect as the primary light source.

Pictopia Gallery <http://blog.pictopia.com/category/pictopia_gallery/>,
April 1st-29th

1300 66th Street, Emeryville, CA

OPENING RECEPTION: April 1st, 6pm-11pm

Featuring a live performance on iPad + iPhone by musician Doctor
Popular<http://www.docpop.org/>

and delicious organic vegan catering from Idle Hands Baking
Company<http://www.idlehandsbakingcompany.com/>

"With these images I was exploring the unique photographic possibilities
presented by using a Microsoft Kinect as a light source. The Kinect – an
inexpensive videogame peripheral – projects a pattern of infrared dots known
as “structured light”. Invisible to the eye, this pattern can be captured
using an infrared camera. The Kinect uses the deformation of this dot
pattern to derive 3D information about its subjects (an ability which has
already spawned an explosion of incredible digital art).

As a photographer I am most interested in the nature and quality of light:
how light behaves in the physical world, and how it interacts with and
affects the subjects that it illuminates. During this shoot my models and I
were essentially working blind, with the results visible only after each
image was captured. Together, we explored the unique physicality of
structured light, finding our way in the darkness by touch and intuition.
Dancing with invisible light."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Clicky-Linkys*

CNET Interview with the artist: http://bit.ly/DwILCN

Coilhouse: http://bit.ly/DwILCH

Boing Boing: http://bit.ly/DwILBB

Laughing Squid: http://bit.ly/DwILLS

 Facebook event page: http://on.fb.me/DwILFB

Audrey's blog post about the opening,

including full credits for the shoot: http://bit.ly/DwILinfo

Dancing With Invisible Light - a Photoset on
Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/audreypenven/sets/72157625454305998/>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*How To Get There*

Pictopia

1300 66th Street, Emeryville, CA

By Car<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=San+Francisco,+CA&daddr=1300+66th+St,+Emeryville,+CA+94608+(Pictopia)&hl=en&geocode=FVJmQAIdKAe0-CkhAGkAbZqFgDH_rXbwZxNQSg%3BFZqEQQIdn_61-CEsMvmdcaf7fSkbt8oJX36FgDFqHeHxs3bQdQ&mra=ls&sll=37.848189,-122.290406&sspn=0.01081,0.019119&ie=UTF8&ll=37.807071,-122.354908&spn=0.08992,0.15295&z=13>
Find your way to the "Bay Bridge". (ProTip: That's the big gray one, not the
big orange one.) Drive East. Once across the bridge, keep left, remaining on
80 East (toward Berkeley/Sacramento). Take the Shellmound Street exit. Turn
right at Shellmound Street. Take the 2nd left onto 66th St. Pictopia will on
the left side of the street.

By BART
Exit at the MacArthur station. Board the free Emery-Go-Round shuttle, taking
the *Hollis Route*. Exit at Stop #10, Hollis at 65th. Walk northbound to
66th Street. Turn Right on 66th. Pictopia is halfway down the block, on your
left. *Please note:* the last Emery-Go-Bound back to MacArthur BART departs
Hollis & 65th at 9:50pm. More Emery-Go-Round info can be found at
http://www.emerygoround.com/schedule-maps/hollis