[Noisebridge-discuss] upcoming Crucible classes

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Fri Apr 1 22:54:18 UTC 2011

There's a lot of awesome classes and events at Noisebridge. The Crucible has
a structured program of classes, this fits really well for some. Let me tell
you about some upcoming classes...

Spring Kinetics classes are starting up at the Crucible in Oakland, starting
April 9th. Most classes are 1 night a week 6-9pm for 5 weeks. One class is
on Saturdays. Space is limited and classes are starting in just 2 weeks! If
you're into it, sign up this week.

* Introduction to Mechanical Sculpture
* Electromechanics for Everything
* Arduino Microcontrollers: Building Smart Art
* Flame Effect for Art
* Electronics for Artists

Read full class descriptions http://tinyurl.com/kinetics-classes
See class schedules: http://tinyurl.com/3he7946

Each teacher is an expert in their field. I'll let the teachers tell you
about their classes:

Introduction to Mechanical Sculpture
taught by Ben Cowden (http://twentysevengears.com/)

Next month a new group of students will be introduced to the wonderful world
of mechanical sculpture. I hope you will join us as we learn about gears,
cams, levers, and worm drives. If you want to integrate movement into your
artwork, or just want to build some crazy contraptions, this is a great way
to get started. There is no experience required, but feel free to bring
project ideas and sketches for group problem-solving and brainstorm. Classes
are Mondays 6-9pm starting April 11th. Check out the description here and
sign up! (
https://store.thecrucible.org/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=415_442_542)

Sincerely,
Ben Cowden

Electromechanics for Everything
taught by Rich Humphrey, obselete and discarded technology expert

This class gives you the ability to make things move, controlling art using
non-computer means. Mechanically or electrically, with cams and gears or
motors and relays.
This class is perfect if you have an interesting problem to solve, want to
know how modern machines work, you have art to make, or a contraption that
needs to see the light of day.

Arduino Microcontrollers: Building Smart Art
taught by Rich Humphrey (http://richhumphrey.net)

Learn how to interface between the software and physical world, have your
machine be able to react to inputs from the real world. Make your art smart!
If you have art or a gizmo that needs to come alive, start here.

Flame Effect for Art
taught by Lee Sonko and Liam McNamara

Possibly the best part of this class is that you get to bring home your
final project. Yes, you bring home a flame thrower*. Maybe it's giant, maybe
it's tiny. Both are awesome. Learning how to work with flame effects safely
will open up so many possibilities for art and exploration.

* Not technically a "flame thrower" by the rules and laws, but we'll cover
that.

Electronics for Artists
taught by Steve Widmark (http://www.paleoneon.com)

My name is Steve Widmark and I teach a class at The Crucible in Oakland
called “Electronics for Artists.” If you’ve ever wanted to know how to
design and build electronic circuits to make a gadget or a piece of
interactive art, then this is the class for you. You’ll learn electronics by
making a small project (a cyber pet or a small kinetic sculpture) that uses
a PICAXE microcontroller as its “brain.” Along the way you’ll be taught
basic electronic theory, schematic reading, use of solderless breadboards
for prototyping, circuit board fabrication and microcontroller programming.
This is a beginning course designed for students with little or no
experience with electronics. Class starts Saturday, April 9th. For more
details, visit www.thecrucible.org