[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser / Powdercoated tiles

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 20:34:59 UTC 2011

Hey kiddos -

A lil' while ago, I started messing around with lasering glazed ceramic just
to see what would happen. The glaze does vaporize, leaving raw tile behind,
but I wanted something a little more interesting than just glaze/no glaze in
a lasered pattern. One really hungover weekend morning, I got a neato idea
to try and laser a kapton tape mask on top of the tile. Kapton tape can take
a high enough temperature to act as a mask for the powder coating cure
process. This enabled me to get multiple colors onto a glazed tile that are
super robust to scratching, well registered, and very organic.

Although you typically need a pretty sizeable non-food oven to do powder
coating, since the tiles are only ~4"x4", you can use a toaster oven, and
can therefore do the whole thing at Noisebridge! I wrote an instructable on
the process, and would happy to walk peeps though how I did it if anyone is
interested (I've got 4-5 different powder coats at home that I bring by the
space if you just want to give something like this a shot without having to
buy your own):

http://www.instructables.com/id/Powder-Coated-Laser-Masked-Ceramic-Tiles/

Sean