[Noisebridge-discuss] Encryption in the Ubuntu LiveCD installer

Micah Lee twopointfour at riseup.net
Thu Apr 28 22:00:17 UTC 2011

Hi Noisebridge,

A lot of us are Ubuntu users, and also a lot of us are cypherpunks. With
every Ubuntu release (happy Ubuntu Natty release day!) I'm reminded that
I need to download the alternate CD instead of the normal desktop CD if
I want to use whole disk encryption, which is really important for every
laptop user and is easy to use and built into the operating system. But
why the alternate CD instead of the normal desktop LiveCD? Because they
just haven't programmed it yet.

I recently talked to the chief technical officer of the Ubuntu project,
Matt Zimmerman, who told me that ideas that gain steam on
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ actually get implemented. Please create an
Ubuntu Brainstorm account and upvote solution #1 on this idea and spread
the word: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24712/

If you can just click "encrypt my hard drive" during the install, a lot
of people who have no idea that whole disk encryption is an option with
Ubuntu will have much stronger security. And I'll finally be able to
download the normal desktop CD to install Ubuntu.

Micah