[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacking on secure mobile video apps for activists - tomorrow downtown

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Apr 28 23:46:44 UTC 2011

A bunch of activist hackers including the Guardian Project
<https://guardianproject.info/> and Witness.org <http://witness.org/>,
who are both collectively awesome, are having a San Francisco
hackathon to work on developing secure apps for mobiles.

I know a few Noisebridgers are interested in this area (someone --
Crutcher? was it you? --  was talking to me and Shannon about a
similar idea after Tuesday meeting).

I got this message from Nathan Freitas, who works on the Guardian
Project and is a pretty interesting person to talk to in his own
right. The center of gravity of many of these projects are in New
York, so it's uncommon for them to be in Bay Area.

d.

This may have been posted already, but I just want to remind everyone,
that we (The Guardian Project) and Witness.org are cohosting an open
hackday tomorrow in San Francisco. Would love to see members of the
LibTech list stop by.

"In the fall of 2010 at the Open Video Conference in New York City, the
Guardian Project and Witness.org hacked together an idea that would
later become the Secure Smart Camera Application for the Android. This
Open Source Mobile hackday "OSMob" goal is to hack on the SSC and other
tools developed by the Guardian Project. Over the course of the day, the
Guardian team will discuss ways to make your mobile applications more
secure, including walking through open-source code and libraries it
offers. For end-users, there will be walkthroughs of how to setup your
phone to communicate securely."

https://guardianproject.info/wiki/%22OSMob%22_Open_Source_Mobile_hackday_with_Witness.org