[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge gets first dibs - free server!

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 00:16:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> Also allows for hot-swappable CPUs!
>
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Michael Klopot <effinnay at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Up for grabs:
> >
> > A Sun Enterprise 4500 Server, a 14-way parallel vintage (from 2001)
> > redundant beast, mainstay of early eCommerce.
> > Upgradeable to 28 gigs RAM and 14 CPUs! Can hold four redundant power
> > supplies!
> > Also comes with a SCSI drive array (we might have to keep the drives)
> > with a fiberoptic connector between the server and the array.

It would be nice to be able to use that box full of new u320 SCA SCSI drives
on the back shelves.

And thus to have a nice RAID redundant/ fail-safe system of storage.

Not sure how well supported the hardware is by recent OS versions (Solaris
or Linux or BSD are possibilities)

Anyway I was going to complain I feel starved at NB for open (free or
unused) hardware in working condition to experiment with. Especially
anything even slightly exotic like this (anything but Pentium please). It
would be nice to have a hotplug boot drive I could put my name on to play
with...

Brian