[Noisebridge-discuss] Suggestions on Pandora alternatives?

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Thu Apr 7 20:39:14 UTC 2011

Rdio is SF based. It's a $5/mo all-you-can-listen on demand subscription.
It's web based with desktop clients and an API (http://developer.rdio.com).

I work there, so I'm biased, but I really like the product. There's a 7 day
free trial too. Oh, and for $10/mo you can listen on your smartphone / tv /
etc...

Ian

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM, rachel lyra hospodar <rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> You can also try grooveshark! Their video ads crash me sometimes but no
> audio ads, and you can actually choose what music you listen to.  While I
> love last.fm's music selections, I think their ad selections could use a
> little help (ie, people who are listening to Patti Smith might not want to
> hear, over n over, an iphone ad describing an anniversary as 'the most
> important thing a man could remember' ugh!)
>
> mediumreality.com
> On Apr 7, 2011 1:19 PM, "Casey Callendrello" <c1 at caseyc.net> wrote:
> > I've had a lot of luck with last.fm. You can use their flash-based
> > player for free, or you can pay for API access. There are multiple
> > third-party GPL last.fm clients.
> >
> > Personally, I've used Clementine (a fork of Amarok) which has a
> > functional plugin.
> >
> > --c.
> >

> > On 04/07/2011 12:10 PM, Tymm Twillman wrote:
> >> Anyone have suggestions on reasonably above-board Pandora alternatives
> that don't include spyware (even subscription based ones)?
> >>
> >> Am I naive in hoping one might exist?

Ian McKellar  <http://ian.mckellar.org/>
ian at mckellar.org: email | jabber | msn
ianloic: flickr | aim | yahoo | skype | linkedin | etc.