[Noisebridge-discuss] Databases

R. Kevin Nelson r.kevin.nelson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:16:19 UTC 2011

Crashers!!  Bridgers!!

Sorry for the doublepost, I know some of you read both of these lists.

I'm working on some things with SafeCast and am weighing different database
options for various prototyping things.  Mostly, I'm looking at creating a
database server to run our datalogging that's separate from or main page.

I'm leaning towards MongoDB, but the discussion at
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2052852 has prompted me to put a little
more care into the decision and I thought reaching out to you all might help
quite a bit (this is my first large web architecture project).

Basically, we need a server that handles incoming data from radiation
measurement devices.  The data needs to go into a database that our website
will use to display maps.

We're already doing this at www.safecast.org (check it out!), but we need to
make it better.

So, some characteristics we're working with:

- for the most part, once data is logged, it doesn't need to change, but now
and then we might have to modify data based on calibration (or something..
why this would happen is still a little vague to me, but it came up in
previous discussions)

- we'll probably have some cron-job type scripts running to cache data from
specific drives (like, in a car) so that we don't have to hit the db every
time someone access a drive map that hasn't changed in 3 months.

- in addition to displaying data from drives, we want to be able to display
all data for a particular area so users can use their current location to
find all measurements made in their area.

- probably going to use nodeJS for the server, though I could probably be
convinced to use python.

So, what can you suggest?

Thanks!
-kevin