[Noisebridge-discuss] Hackathon at GAFFTA 8/19-8/21: Health/Food/Nutrition/Urban Ag

Jake Levitas jake at gaffta.org
Tue Aug 16 22:07:11 UTC 2011

 Hi all,

On behalf of Gray Area Foundation for the Arts (GAFFTA) I'd like to
invite Noisebridge folks to our third and final Summer of Smart Urban
Innovation Weekend on Public Health, Food, Nutrition, and Urban Agriculture.

More than a single hackathon, San Francisco's Summer of Smart (
www.summerofsmart.org) is a new model for how citizens and government can
work directly together to address urban issues in new ways. Developers,
designers, city officials, urbanists, journalists, community members, and
more are building rapid innovation prototypes and presenting them directly
to government and the public. It's our vision for Democracy 3.0.

During the weekend we'll address questions such as:
How can visualizing public health data help us understand systemic issues
and uncover underlying narratives?
How can the Quantified Self movement and personal data gathering improve
health and nutrition at a large scale?
How can physical gardens and farms use sensors, controllers, and other
technology to improve productivity and engage citizens?
How can citizens draft web and mobile applications, policy papers, or
legislation which help government promote healthier cities?
And in general, how can rapid multidisciplinary prototyping help us think
about and recreate cities in new ways?

Our first weekend on Community Development and Public
Art<http://www.summerofsmart.org/blog/one-month-in-summer-of-smart-has-reimagined-democracy-through-grassroots-innovation/>
and
second weekend on Sustainability, Transportation, and
Energy<http://www.summerofsmart.org/blog/second-summer-of-smart-hackathon-tackles-buildings-transportation-and-sustainability/>were
a huge success, and our third weekend is shaping up to be just as
good.
Register now for free:
http://sosweekend3.eventbrite.com/

The most promising projects will be presented directly to San Francisco's
mayoral candidates at our public forum in October, and will have an
opportunity to pursue a research residency at GAFFTA this fall.

Where: Gray Area Foundation for the Arts (998 Market @ 6th)
When: Friday 5:00 pm - Sunday 8:00 pm (includes keynote speakers, team
formation, 48 hours of hacking, presentations, then a party)
Who: Anyone who wants to actively improve their city in new ways. Keynote
speakers include former US Secretary of Agriculture and UNICEF Executive
Director Ann Veneman <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Veneman>;
international journalist, entrepreneur, and quantified health visionary Esther
Dyson <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Dyson>; and Bay Area practicing
internist and top healthcare innovator Dr. Jordan Shlain.

Feel free to write me with any questions and hope to see you there.

Jake Levitas
Research Director, GAFFTA
jake at gaffta.org
www.gaffta.org