[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting Notes 2011-08-30

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Aug 31 06:56:36 UTC 2011

meeting-o-meter:
getting shit done <---!!----------------------------------------------->
whining about not shit not getting not done

Highlights -- Rubin is organizating a Hacker Prom for October 1st. He is
also working on a hacker==equality badge that hackerspaces that are
encouraging of diverse lifebeings can join onto. The space is pretty clean,
and we have mucho funds in the bank. The Tor project continues apace. No new
members. Tune in now for...

The 176th Meeting of Noisebridge

Note-taker: Malaclyps

Moderator: Miloh

== Introduction and Names

    What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that
provides
a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and
creative
projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to
help
the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to
exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our
code
of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."

    Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are
new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go
left.

Introductions!

Miloh -- I make Noisebridge

Laura -- I used five words. Yes.

Mike -- I am a technowanderer if you will.

Rubin -- I am Noisebridge. I am unpopular. I touch the peoples. I touch them
so they stay touched.

Ed -- I have 45 hours of community service to go. Woo.

Duncan -- I am here.

Eric -- I work for the (local) Man.

Kelly -- I work in neuroscience.

Danny -- I am Cafe Gratitude.

Jesse -- I like technology.

Shaun -- I am at SFU

Mike -- I am from New Orleans, Gumbo hackerspace

Josh -- I write code, lots of it. We already like. OVER 10 KLOC

Rikke -- I am just awesome. The end.

Miloh welcomes people, and then gives a consensus process pitch.

Rubin interrupts to explain sudo-o-cracy.

Miloh says THINGS WORK, YAY!

    A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only
paid-up members can block consensus.

== Short Announcements

Cool new projects? Something you'd like people to know? Say now, but keep it
short!
 Hacker Equality site/group

At CCC camp, there was a radio talk program, including Mitch, and others,
about queers and geeks. We talked about tolerance and equality and diversity
-- tolerance for people who use vim or emacs, tabs and spaces, and boys and
girls and others. We would like to start a group to encourage accepting
other hackers for what they are. So Rubin is going to start a site for
hacker_equality, and encourage hackerspaces to join the movement, and sign
up.

JOIN HIM. JOIN HIM.
 New or Stale Events
 Noisebridge 3 Year Anniversary and Hacker Prom, October 1st

Johannes is doing Arse Electronica again, where the Austrian government pays
to ship him to San Francisco to talk about sex. So lots of people here
talking dirty.

And we'll also be planning the annual Noisebridge party -- it will be hacker
prom themed. We'll have tuxes, colored lights, awkward dance, chaperones,
and awkward photos.

Contact Rubin if you would like to help.

Rubin encourages Miloh to create sudo pop again.

== Financial Report

Miloh demands a financial report.

There is an awkward silence, then Kelly goes:

Funds in bank: $18,859.14

We're really really very close to having three months advance operating
expenses, even when we've dug down into paying the full amount.

We have 45 members, and 14 regular donors. 31 regular, 18 people paying
starving hackers, 2 doing well hackers.
 Membership Binder

 Discussion Items

Mike talks about the computer that was broken, and asked someone to fix it.
Leif said yes.

 Tor Project Report

Tor project has now $411, 8% of which will be skimmed off by Noisebridge for
"expenses" and "flowers and dining costs" and "pajama requirements" and
"entertainment" and 3% "Paypal" "charges". We are actively looking around
for hosting providers. We are looking for hosting providers, with .5GB or
more pipe, where they can put a linux box in a supportive environment.
 End of Meeting