[Noisebridge-discuss] Free libre open source hardware and Noisebridge hardware hacking...

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 20:19:34 UTC 2011

There's an ongoing discussion about possible open source hardware (OSHW)
licenses at the openhardwaresummit.org 'updates' list. Links below are to
comments by Windell Oskay of http://evilmadscience.com/  about what 'free'
means in the EAGLE license.

The Open Hardware Summit is on September 15th, at the New York Hall of
Science, http://www.openhardwaresummit.org/

re: the promise of CADsoft's EAGLE software
http://lists.openhardwaresummit.org/pipermail/updates-openhardwaresummit.org/2011-August/000248.html

re: EDA and CAD tools
http://lists.openhardwaresummit.org/pipermail/updates-openhardwaresummit.org/2011-August/000243.html

How does this connect to Noisebridge?  One way is that Hackerspaces
participating in the global hackerspace challenge will receive some version
of CADsoft EAGLE, the software Windell is writing about in the messages
linked above. So we will have an in-house version of EAGLE schematic capture
and design software (which many folks at Noisebridge are well versed in).

However, this software currently spits out binary blobs (the output file
format) incompatible with other schematic capture and electronic design
software. This continues the divide between those wanting to support and use
free/libre/open source software while facing requirements to use or install
closed source tools (that often rely on and incorporate free software
innovation and invention to create their product!).  I've come to see the
open source hardware and software routes as sustainable loops and the
alternative as a fractured ecology that is not particularly vibrant.

>From what I have heard, this complication with the output file format from
EAGLE could change soon, and the developers will need our encouragement that
this is a positive direction for their company to take.  When the CADsoft's
EAGLE file format becomes open and readable it will mean that partners who
support free/libre/open source software aren't forced to introduce it into
their toolchains.

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/10/13/cadsoft-eagle-development-team-developing-xml-format-for-schematic-layout-and-parts-libraries/
http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php?t<http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=130138&S=f77cc9106ef8355563b0f7adac675163>
=msg&goto<http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=130138&S=f77cc9106ef8355563b0f7adac675163>
=130138&S<http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=130138&S=f77cc9106ef8355563b0f7adac675163>
=f77cc9106ef8355563b0f7adac675163<http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=130138&S=f77cc9106ef8355563b0f7adac675163>

I hope interested folks use Noisebridge as a resource to get informed about
the free/libre/open hardware movement and how it connects to the world of
devices around us.  Our physical presence makes hacking on existing hardware
(like Wii's, the Kinect, et. al.) a common hackerspace pursuit that is in a
legal gray area according to some parties and outright illegal to others.
I'm betting in the long run that increasing the number of community members
who are well informed about the free/libre/open source hardware movement
will be an asset towards defending the public nature of hackerspaces and our
natural desire to hack on whatever hardware pops up in the space.

Finally, despite my advocacy for us to demantd the right to do what we want
with our hardware, I want to discourage the use of rogue windows and grey
software installations on hacked hardware at Noisebridge! We can obtain
legit copies of proprietary software (which are good to have available at
Noisebridge!), but there shouldn't be remorse when I delete illegal software
I find on Noisebridge systems and replace it with free/libre open source
alternatives!

-Ronald Miloh Alexander