[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge-discuss Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Aug 1 22:56:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 03:43:26PM -0700, Johny Radio wrote:
> Anybody know why my Noisebridge mailing list is not coming through?
> I'm getting "This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is
> formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or
> email program. multipart/mixed".
>
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 12:00 PM, noisebridge-discuss-request at lists.noisebridge.net wrote:

> >   4. PyClass today! (aditya bhargava)
> > This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program. multipart/mixed
> > This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program. multipart/alternative

Your mail program apparently can't deal with the formatting that Mailman
uses for its digests.  I can think of four possible solutions:

1. change your subscription to non-digest, then you'll get each message
individually and you can use a filter or folder to keep them from
filling up your inbox.

2. change your digest options to "send plain text only" or something to
that effect, this means you will see one large message with textual
versions of all the messages rather than individual MIME entries for the
messages.

3. switch to a different mail app that can handle MIME multipart
messages.  gmail apparently works OK on the iPhone web browser, and can
handle Mailman digests.

4. the server admins and/or the Mailman open source developers
experiment to figure out what is making your "iPod mail client" (?)
choke on the digests, and figure out a way to work around it.

You can do #1 or #2 using the Mailman web options page at
https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/options/noisebridge-discuss

#3 isn't something I can help you with since I don't know your device at
all, but maybe others at NB know more about it if you ask around.  (I
know we have a couple of iPod Touch users.)

#4 would need somebody with access to the device and a willingness to
experiment.  Again, maybe ask around.

HTH,
-andy