[Noisebridge-discuss] Community warning: likely dangerous folks at and around Noisebridge [drama]

d. sano dis at gruntle.org
Sat Aug 20 06:38:17 UTC 2011

Are they living there?

On Aug 19, 2011 3:15 PM, "Jacob Appelbaum" <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

Hi,

( I have pre-tagged this email [drama] for davidfine's email filtering
pleasure. )

It has come to my attention that some people who work for various
military industrial contractors including Palantir[0] have been hanging
around Noisebridge. This isn't really horrible as they're using the same
networks as the rest of us - try to have a good sense of humor about it!
Still, it seems prudent to send a general public service announcement
about the topic for those who are unaware of the neo-McCarthyist times
we're living through.

We're an open and generally welcoming space. I also know that it's hard
to take anyone seriously if they've working with HB Gary. Still, it's
probably a good idea to watch what you say around people who work on
reports like this:
http://www.businessinsider.com/palantir-wikileaks-2011-2#-4

These people will do lasting harm to individuals and to the space if
given the opportunity. Watch out for people who want you to admit having
done things or to having had involvement in something; especially if
these things may be considered to be crimes, no matter how trivial.
Watch out for social engineering attempts to pump information out of
anyone about other Noisebridge members; collectors of names in aggregate
should be considered questionable. New comers that pretend to be well
connected name droppers are probably not someone worth trusting unless
the trust is confirmed by all involved parties.

Some people are not what they seem and others are *exactly* as they
seem. I encourage fellow Noisebridgers to watch out and to keep safe
during these weird times. Stay skeptical!

There's no reason to be paranoid but there is also no reason to be naive.

Be excellent to each other,
Jake