[Noisebridge-discuss] Linux Wifi Help

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Aug 27 23:32:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at inyourear.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any linux networking gurus here? Having troubles trying to set up wifi on
> the laptop so generously donated by Christopher Lincoln for my ex-con
> friend. Full details of what i'm seeing here:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11193924

I know a thing or two about Linux and BSD networking.

What kind of card is it? Have you identified the correct driver for it?
>From the forum post you linked to, it sounds like it might be
Intersil-like  Orinoco card. How is the card marked?

If the card is showing up when you run "iwconfig" or shows things with
"iwlist", it's probably got the right driver setup.

Does "iwlist INTERFACE_NAME scan" list anything?

How about manually asking it to associate with an AP with "iwconfig
INTERFACE_NAME essid NETWORK_NAME" or if scanning is somehow broken,
with "iwconfig INTERFACE_NAME ap BSSID_MAC".

Cheers,
jof